Managing Performance & Appraisal Skills
The annual appraisal is often seen as the lynch pin of organisational performance management and can influence pay, bonus and progression. However, in successful organisations, performance discussions and management are daily, weekly and monthly conversations.
The key is effective and honest communication between the team member and manager. Managed well, appraisal conversations can be motivational and develop performance. Managed poorly and they can quickly create disillusionment and resentment.
This programme will look at appraisal best practice and provide tips on getting the best from performance conversations.
Who’s it for?
Any manager who needs to conduct formal appraisal meetings or hold performance conversations with team members on a regular basis.
Indicative Duration – 1 day
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Prepare for the appraisal meeting and gather examples of achievement and areas for development
- Build rapport with the appraisee and create a comfortable environment which encourages openness
- Facilitate conversations that encourage self-assessment by the appraisee
- Feedback to individuals in a constructive and forward looking way
- Agree objectives for the next performance cycle
- The performance cycle and manager’s role
- The 10-point appraisal plan
- Gathering examples of competency for feedback
- Structuring the meeting
- Reviewing objectives and self-assessment
- Questioning techniques to encourage conversation
- Setting objectives the SMARTER way
- Delivering motivational and developmental feedback
- Remaining emotionally neutral
- Dealing with poor performance informally
- The role of discipline and grievance
- Following up on performance and appraisal meetings
Why Use Us?
Collaboration with you ensuring our solutions are relevant and contemporary
Over 100 years combined experience in learning and development
Clear and transparent pricing
Honest and straightforward advice without the jargon
Focus on outcomes and performance development
Highly experienced team of consultants